Always wanted to know how to do butterfly stroke? Maybe you can already but you find butterfly swimming technique exhausting?
Either way, you have come to the right place!
I have taken butterfly swimming technique and broken it down into its separate parts. That way, you will have a clear picture of what each part of your body should be doing at each point during the stroke.
The butterfly technique video below explains each part of the stroke and what your body should be doing as you swim.
1. As the body undulates, the swimmer maintains a stretched and streamlined position, lead by the head.
2. The shoulders remain horizontal as the movement flows smoothly.
3. The kick is simultaneous, rhythmical and powerful, remaining within the body width.
4. The knees bend and provide a powerful downbeat whip like action, with toes pointed and ankles relaxed.
5. The simultaneous arm action begins with the hands entering the water, thumb and index finger first.
6. The hands press outwards and downwards in a powerful S shape pathway towards the hips where they exit the water.
7. The arms are then thrown over the water ready to enter again, gaining maximum reach per stroke as they do so.
8. Breathing should take place every stroke or every other stroke depending on the ability of the swimmer.
9. The swimmer exhales explosively as the head rises and then inhales quickly as the arms exit and the chin is clear of the water.
10. The timing and coordination follows a sequence of 'kick, pull, kick, recover'.
11. One kick supports the upward movement as the swimmers arms pull and the head rises to breathe.
12. The second kick assists the undulation and propulsion as the arms recover.
Are you ready to take the plunge and really master butterfly? Grab a copy of my book 'How To Swim Butterfly'.
This hugely popular book contains all the basic butterfly drills you will need to learn and perfect each part of the technique. Each drill focuses on a specific part of the stroke, so that you can fine-tune the each part of the technique.
Click below to download my book and learn how to do butterfly stroke today.
Click cover to PREVIEW
Tell Us - Ask Us - Show Us - Right here...
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Land Exercises To Improve Butterfly Stroke Not rated yet
Could you recommend any land exercises to improve butterfly stroke? My daughter is on a High School Varsity swim team and her butterfly stroke is good, …
Conserve Energy Swimming Butterfly Stroke Not rated yet
Okay, so here’s the deal. I need to conserve energy swimming butterfly stroke. I'm tall, got broad shoulders and long legs so my school chose me as my …
Learn Butterfly Swimming Stroke Not rated yet
I would like to learn butterfly swimming stroke and would like some information about how to kick, how to use the arms, butterfly breathing and any videos …
Competitive Butterfly Stroke Swimming Tips Not rated yet
I would like some competitive butterfly stroke swimming tips. I am thirteen years old, and I have been swimming since I was five. I have been to nationals …
Breaststroke Leg Kick When Swimming Butterfly Stroke Not rated yet
I would like some advice about a problem with breaststroke leg kick when swimming butterfly stroke. My son is 11 years old and has problems learning …