There is nothing like inspirational swimming quotes to fire you up when you feel like your swimming is going nowhere.
When the going seems challenging, some powerful words can motivate you to refocus and keep you on track to achieving your goals.
Most swimmers, whether beginners, improvers or advanced, reach a point where they feel they are not making enough progress. Here, I give you some inspirational quotes that will provide you with a lift up the encouragement ladder.
Why not boost your motivation and add these quotes to your daily reminders on your mobile device or stick them on your mirror so you can see and read them daily?
One of my favourite phrases I use when teaching swimming, particularly to adults is:
'Feel your way through the water. Don't fight it.'
In my years of experience teaching swimming, I have seen how it can change the mindset of some beginners learning how to swim. They slow down and take their time as they feel their way through the water, swimming with a smooth and relaxed technique. For more quotes for swimming teachers, click here.
Listed below are 11 of the most inspirational, motivating and powerful quotes. Some are anonymous, but others are from some of the most successful names in the swimming world.
Which quote will stick in your head and go with you on your next trip to the swimming pool?
1. "The water is your friend...you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
If you have a fear of water, Popov's quote will help you remember that the water is not working against you but wants to support you. Try to feel that as you conquer your fear of water.
2. "No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch"
When you're just not feeling it or can't be bothered, this is the quote for you. Get out there and beat those that are still on the couch!
3. "Just because it isn't happening at this moment, doesn't mean it never will."
This is your patience and determination quote. Learning to swim, especially as an adult, can be frustrating at times. Hang in there and keep pushing. It will come, and you will get there.
4. "Feel your way through the water. Don't fight it."
5. "Work hard in silence. Let your success make the noise."
6. "The only difference between try and triumph is a little umph."
7. "Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better."
8. "I wouldn't say anything is impossible. I think that everything is possible as long as you put your mind to it and put the work and time into it."
This is a hugely motivational quote from one of the greatest swimmers ever. Putting effort and time into your swimming will make the seemingly impossible possible. Keep going!
9. "Jump in and lose yourself."
If it's an escape you crave and swimming is your thing, go for it. Lose yourself in the calmness of the water as you gently move through it.
10. "Being your best is not so much about overcoming the barriers other people place in front of you as it is about overcoming the barriers we place in front of ourselves."
Self-belief is where Kieren is coming from with this quote. Believe in yourself, and don't let others get in your way.
11. "If you want to learn to swim, jump into the water. On dry land, no frame of mind is ever going to help you. "
My book 'How To Be A Swimming Teacher' contains motivational and inspirational swimming quotes to help teachers get the most out of their lessons.
Mark Van Doren is quoted as saying:
"The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery."
Benjamin Franklin's famous quote is a lesson to all of us in all walks of life:
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail."
And perhaps most notable and most relevant to all teachers, not just swimming teachers, is Thomas Carruthers' quote:
"A teacher is one who makes himself progressively unnecessary."
For a whole load of motivational quotes to help get you through each day, click over to BrainyQuote.