Do you find butterfly stroke really tough to swim? Always wondered if you are swimming it with correct technique?
You have come to the right place! I have taken butterfly swimming technique and broken it down into its separate parts. That way, you will have a clearer picture of what you should be doing at each stage of the stroke.
By looking at the stroke one part at a time, you will be able to identify your mistakes and set about correcting them.
For some specific exercises to help learn and improve your stroke, click here.
1. As the body undulates, the swimmer maintains a stretched and streamlined position, lead by the head.
2. The shoulders remain horizontal as the movement flows smoothly.
3. The kick is simultaneous, rhythmical and powerful, remaining within the body width.
4. The knees bend and provide a powerful downbeat whip like action, with toes pointed and ankles relaxed.
5. The simultaneous arm action begins with the hands entering the water, thumb and index finger first.
6. The hands press outwards and downwards in a powerful S shape pathway towards the hips where they exit the water.
7. The arms are then thrown over the water ready to enter again, gaining maximum reach per stroke as they do so.
8. Breathing should take place every stroke or every other stroke depending on the ability of the swimmer.
9. The swimmer exhales explosively as the head rises and then inhales quickly as the arms exit and the chin is clear of the water.
10. The timing and coordination follows a sequence of 'kick, pull, kick, recover'.
11. One kick supports the upward movement as the swimmers arms pull and the head rises to breathe.
12. The second kick assists the undulation and propulsion as the arms recover.
Are you ready to take the plunge and really give your butterfly a boost? Grab a copy of my book 'How To Swim Butterfly'.
'How To Swim Butterfly' contains all the exercises you will need to perfect basic butterfly technique.
The clear illustrations and simple teaching points will make it easy for you to make significant improvements to your swimming stroke.
Click ADD TO CART below or Click here for more information.
Alternatively, click here for some basic technical exercises.
Tell Us - Ask Us - Show Us - Right here...
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Land Exercises To Improve Butterfly Stroke Not rated yet
Could you recommend any land exercises to improve butterfly stroke? My daughter is on a High School Varsity swim team and her butterfly stroke is good, …
Conserve Energy Swimming Butterfly Stroke Not rated yet
Okay, so here’s the deal. I need to conserve energy swimming butterfly stroke. I'm tall, got broad shoulders and long legs so my school chose me as my …
Learn Butterfly Swimming Stroke Not rated yet
I would like to learn butterfly swimming stroke and would like some information about how to kick, how to use the arms, butterfly breathing and any videos …
Competitive Butterfly Stroke Swimming Tips Not rated yet
I would like some competitive butterfly stroke swimming tips. I am thirteen years old, and I have been swimming since I was five. I have been to nationals …
Breaststroke Leg Kick When Swimming Butterfly Stroke Not rated yet
I would like some advice about a problem with breaststroke leg kick when swimming butterfly stroke. My son is 11 years old and has problems learning …