I am a member of the Amazon Associates Program and I will earn a commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
Teaching Front Crawl Leg Kick
Need a lesson plan for teaching front crawl leg kick? Look no further. The tools you need are right here.
Getting pupils to kick with a relaxed and smooth kicking action can be tricky. Knowing the right drills and exercises, along with the common mistakes to look out for, are essential to pupil and teacher success.
Lesson 2: Leg Kick
Aim: to learn front crawl leg kick and introduce breathing
Equipment: floaters or kickboards and buoyancy aids as needed
Entry: swivel entry
Warm up: 2 widths any stroke on the front
1. sitting on the poolside demonstrating kicking action
2. holding the poolside and kicking
3. kicking with floats under each arm
4. kick with one float in front
5. holding the poolside blowing bubbles
6. kicking with floats under each arm adding blowing bubbles
prone star float with or without buoyancy aids
supine star float with or without buoyancy aids
using the pool steps or over the pool side
take your time
kick with straight legs
kick from your hips
kick with floppy feet
kick and blow at the same time
hold your breath
relax and stay still
take your time
Example Lesson Plan With Timings
Key parts to look out for:
- Kick come from the hip
- Kick is continuous and alternating
- Knee is only slightly bent
- Legs are close together as they kick
- Ankles are relaxed and toes pointed
- Kick should just break the water surface
- Feet come out of the water
- Kick comes from the knee
- Legs are too deep as they kick
Teaching front crawl leg kick is just a small part of the plan...
Separate lesson plans for body position, arm action, breathing and timing. The complete package is right here...
Lesson plans, assessment tools and a whole load more...
Grab a copy of my popular book 'How To Teach Front Crawl' and plan your swimming lessons to get the best out of your swimmers.
From basic technique drills, to advanced lesson plans and assessment tools - get the swimming teacher's definitive guide to teaching front crawl.
Click DOWNLOAD below and instantly download my book today.
Click here for more information about my book.
Buy a printed copy from Amazon.
More Front Crawl Lesson Plans