I am a member of the Amazon Associates Program and I will earn a commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
Teaching Front Crawl Breathing
Are you looking for some assistance when it comes to teaching front crawl breathing? Take a look at some easy-to-follow lesson plans that may give you some fresh ideas and new teaching points to help unlock that struggling student.
Scroll down to discover more...
SEE ALSO: The Best Books for Supporting Your Swimming Progress
Lesson 4: Breathing
Aim: to introduce basic front crawl breathing technique
Equipment: floaters or kickboards, buoyancy aids and sinkers as needed
Entry: swivel entry
Warm up: 2 widths any stroke on the front
1. breathing while holding the poolside
2. repeat the above with rolling the head to the side
3. holding a float with a diagonal grip
4. single arm pull with float in one hand
5. repeat the above with the opposite arm
6. full stroke front crawl
head first surface dive to collect sinkers
prone star floats
using the pool steps or over the pool side
take your time
blow slowly and gently
look to your shoulder
breath through the mouth
turn to the pulling side
breathe as the arm pulls
head returns to central
dig yourself to the bottom
deep breath and relax
take your time
Front Crawl Breathing Lesson Plan
Key parts to look out for:
- Head moves enough for the mouth to clear the water
- Breathing occurs when the head is turned to the side
- Breathing out should be slow and controlled
- Breathing should be in and out from the mouth
- Turning the head towards the straight arm
- Turning the head excessively (to look upwards)
- Breathing out through the nose
- Holding the breath
- Lifting the head and looking forward when breathing
Need a bit more than just teaching front crawl breathing?
It's not just about teaching the breathing technique. The rest of font crawl technique needs to be taught effectively too. My very popular book 'How To Teach Front Crawl' contains all of the lesson plans you will need to make your front crawl lessons awesome.
Lesson plans, assessment tools and a whole load more...
Grab a copy of my popular book 'How To Teach Front Crawl' and plan your swimming lessons to get the best out of your swimmers.
From basic technique drills, to advanced lesson plans and assessment tools - get the swimming teacher's definitive guide to teaching front crawl.
Click DOWNLOAD below and instantly download my book today.
Buy a printed copy from Amazon.
Discover More Front Crawl Lesson Plans
Swim Teach Home
front crawl lesson plans